Thursday, April 9, 2015

Sunny 105.9 Paco Lopez Remembers Veterans Everyday!

I listen to Sunny 105.9 FM everyday and one of my favorite things happens during the Paco Lopez show. He plays a song , usually the Eagles Hotel California, and dedicates it to the veterans at the VA everyday. He always makes me smile when he does it because I know how much it means to them to be remembered. It means even more because it comes from one of their own. Paco was a Marine. Or should I say is a Marine? Considering the saying goes, "Once A Marine, Always A Marine."
Noah Galloway: A Real American Hero (And Great Dancer Too)
Sunny 105.9
April 9, 2015

I spent four years in the United States Marine Corps, serving my country. Though I never saw any battlefield action, I recognized that I could have been called onto the battlefield at any time. I intentionally, and quite voluntarily, enlisted during a very tense period in history. It was when the Ayatollah Khomeini had taken 52 hostages and held them for 444 days.

During boot camp, our drill instructors came in on several occasions and told us to pack our gear because we were going to Iran. We believed them, and so we did…only to be told 30 minutes later that our orders had been cancelled. Our hearts were pounding while we stood there on “line” waiting for our next command from our leaders. Later we learned those were only head games they played with us.

All the more reason, that as a Marine vet, I can appreciate what Noah Galloway did, and even more impressively, what he continues to do to amaze us.
read more here


I asked Paco to give a bit of his background so that veterans would know why they matter so much to him. This is what he wrote back.
"I went to Paris Island in Dec of 1979 and served for 4 years at EdCtrCo, H and S Bn, MCDEC, Quantico, Va. Also, I was on the Quantico Ceremonial Squad and did many burials, grand openings, special events, and presented colors for MCDEC.

Meritoriously promoted to PFC by recruiting two into service after boot camp as a recruiters asst while awaiting my due date in MOS school. Meritoriously promoted to LCpl by graduating 1st in my class at MOS school. Meritoriously promoted to Cpl by 9 months for performance. I was an SRB Chief when I left. Rifle Expert 2nd award, 1st class PFT, 3rd class swim qual. EAS'd as an E-5/Sgt. in 1984."

2 comments:

  1. (Sgt) B. Luis "Paco" LopezApril 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM

    I just saw this story while searching for eligibility for a ribbon I may or may not have qualified for while at MCDEC.

    I'm so honored that you cared enough to post/blog this. Thank you so much for the interest and time.

    I LOVE my brothers and sisters in arms. We all your patriotism, courage, sacrifices, and dedication to the most outstanding military forces on the planet, defending the greatest country in the known universe.

    God bless you and America. Ooh Rah! Semper Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paco, I called the station today and told the woman to pass you on a message. You made me cry today when you gave Wounded Times a shout out. Now I adore you even more. Keep up the great work remembering our veterans! (PS) Why don't you ever play the Moody Blues?

    ReplyDelete

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.