Wounded Times

Where Veterans Get Their News

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Happy fracking Veterans Day, veteran forced off land

Veteran forced into fracking lease day after Veteran’s Day
The Morrow County Sentinel

Colum­bus, Ohio— Jim Hueb­ner, Mas­sil­lon res­i­dent and Viet­nam Vet­eran, appeared in front of the Tech­ni­cal Advi­sory Coun­cil on Novem­ber 12, 2013 to express his objec­tion to being forced into leas­ing his land to Ever­flow for oil and gas drilling, or manda­tory pooled, as part of the Sisko 1 unit.

The six present coun­cil mem­bers, Mark Neese, John Ack­er­man, Steven Grose, Dou­glas Gon­za­lez, Brian Mor­ley and Greg New all voted in favor to manda­tory pool Jim and four­teen other peo­ple. All present mem­bers work directly with or have inter­est in oil and gas drilling operations.

Dur­ing Huebner’s tes­ti­mony, he expressed con­cerns about the pro­lif­er­a­tion of urban wells in the area, the aquifers that may be adversely impacted and pre­serv­ing the neighborhood’s his­tor­i­cal integrity.

Everflow’s leas­ing man­ager, Les Dundics state that all but about 5% of the prop­er­ties in the pro­posed well loca­tion had signed leases. Chair­man, Dou­glas Gon­za­lez implied he wanted to ensure the other 95% of the sign­ers are able to “enjoy theirs” (min­eral rights). He said, “bet­ter off being manda­tory pooled and get­ting some­thing for their min­er­als instead of nothing.”

Hueb­ner rebutted to Gonzalez’s asser­tion that this was in everyone’s best inter­est. Accord­ing to Jim, res­i­dents were told by land agents that they were bet­ter off sign­ing because, if they didn’t sign, the com­pany would take the land and they wouldn’t see any­thing.
read more here

No comments: