Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Ex-Marine saves family in fire: ‘It’s how I live’

Ex-Marine saves family in fire: ‘It’s how I live’
My Marine Corps training kicked in and I just wanted to save the family,' said Mark Atkinson. He caught four kids as they jumped from a second-floor window to flee from the raging blaze.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
BY TINA MOORE
MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2013

MARCUS SANTOS// NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Mark Atkinson credits Marine training for his instinct to catch four kids leaping from a Queens house fire.

The hero who caught four children as they leapt from a second-floor window to escape a house fire in Queens said his military training took over when he saw the smoke.

“My Marine Corps training kicked in and I just wanted to save the family,” said Mark Atkinson, 45, who lives in the neighborhood and drove to the Jamaica home Sunday when he noticed thick smoke.

“I started to call 911, until I heard, ‘Help me! Help me!’ I saw the wife and husband in the window. . . . Everything was chaotic,” he recalled. “That’s when I started catching all the kids.”
read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.