Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why should you get a colonoscopy?

Why should you get a colonoscopy?
Wounded Times Blog
Kathie Costos
July 3, 2013

This has not been a fun couple of weeks for me. Every year around July, I take care of my health. A couple of weeks ago it was getting a mammogram. Turns out there was something strange going on so they wanted me to come back for another one plus an ultrasound. It happened a couple of years ago, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Monday I had both tests done and it turned out to be just my body being a bit freaky. I celebrated with a huge glass of wine.

Yesterday it was yet another day of misery getting ready for a colonoscopy today. I kept putting it off because of the stuff you have to drink to flush everything out. NOT FUN AT ALL. Most of the day I was either in the bathroom or laying down. I couldn't eat but what surprised me was, I wasn't hungry at all.

This morning, bright and early my husband drove me to Florida hospital in Altamonte so that I could be there by 6:00 to check in. That followed a series of forms to fill out and some great nurses taking my mind off what was coming. As soon as the medication went into the tube, I was out. I woke up in another room and that was when my husband gave me the news. There were four polyps. The doctor told him they looked benign but he wouldn't be sure until he got the report back.

On the way home there were two things on my mind. One was getting something to eat. The more pressing thing was thinking about if I had not had it done. What would have happened? Would I have found out too late there was something wrong?

I kept putting it off finding excuses for something I just didn't want to do. I wasn't having any health problems in that area so putting it off was easy. Now I am glad I did.

If you doctor tells you to go for a colonoscopy, go! It is better to discover you are healthy and don't have to worry for ten more years than to discover you waited too long. I was miserable yesterday and to tell the truth, not feeling much better yet but oh so happy to put up with all of this than something much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.