Friday, October 5, 2012

Jonathan Shay giving lecture at San Diego State University

This the smartest "man in class" when it comes to PTSD. Of all the experts I've read, he's the only one I ever sent fan mail to!

In 2000 he actually tried to help me get my book, FOR THE LOVE OF JACK, HIS WAR/MY BATTLE published. That's how great he is! I was even less known back then but he took the time to help me.

After 9-11, I called him and we talked about how Vietnam veterans would be shattered by the attack on this country on top of unaddressed PTSD. That's when I decided to self-publish it. (It is available again.)

When I was searching for information at the library and book stores, I came across his book Achilles in Vietnam. I read a couple of chapters when I ended up crying because he was the first one to write about what my life became.

If the DOD and the VA really want to do something to change what is not working, they need to get him involved!

Acclaimed PTSD Pioneer, Author, Johnathan Shay to Give Free Lecture at San Diego State University Friday
Posted on October 4, 2012
by The Military Suicide Report
Psychiatrist is Building Public Awareness About Post Traumatic Stress Disorder by Deb Welsh
KPBS, Oct. 4, 2012

Dr. Jonathan Shay, a clinical psychiatrist and author of several books, calls Post Traumatic Stress Disorder an invisible injury suffered by many of our war veterans.

“When somebody brings back from war the absolutely valid adaptation formed in war to survive other people trying to kill you and doing a damned good job of it,” he said.

According to Shay, PTSD consists of clusters of symptoms which include hyper-remembering, emotional numbing, withdrawal and finally the perpetual mobilization of the body and mind toward mortal danger.

Shay said when these three clusters persist into civilian life, the effects can be devastating.
read more here


Peer support is key according to Shay and he's been saying that all along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.