Sunday, November 20, 2011

Army curbs prescriptions of anti-malaria drug Mefloquine

Army curbs prescriptions of anti-malaria drug
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Almost four decades after inventing a potent anti-malarial drug, the U.S. Army has pushed it to the back of its medicine cabinet.

The dramatic about-face follows years of complaints and concerns that mefloquine caused psychiatric and physical side effects even as it was used around the globe as a front-line defense against the mosquito-borne disease that kills about 800,000 people a year.

"Mefloquine is a zombie drug. It's dangerous, and it should have been killed off years ago," said Dr. Remington Nevin, an epidemiologist and Army major who has published research that he said showed the drug can be potentially toxic to the brain. He believes the drop in prescriptions is a tacit acknowledgment of the drug's serious problems.
read more here

1 comment:

  1. I have spent 20 years researching malaria.
    I have now prefected my immune system so I am
    immune to malaria, asthma, arthritis and cancer.
    I simply drink a fresh glass of my own perfect medicine, my water of life, my urine.
    Youtube: paul8kangas

    ReplyDelete

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.