Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We need to help other veterans and their families and friends understand the truths about PTSD

"Standing up for veterans also means making sure everyone knows how to get needed care. We, as veterans helping veterans, need to aide those who are suffering. They need to know about the hotlines the VA has setup, about the VA facilities offering free and immediate care. We need to know what symptoms to watch for, and we need to help other veterans and their families and friends understand the truths about PTSD."
Remarks by National Commander Donald L. Samuels

National Commander Tyson, National Adjutant Wilson, Department and Chapter Commanders, Auxiliary members, honored guests, friends, and my fellow members of Disabled American Veterans:

Thank you all very much. Thank you for this humbling opportunity to serve you. It is an immense honor and responsibility that I take very seriously. You can be sure that I will put my all into carrying on the great traditions of this organization, working tirelessly for every disabled veteran, their families and survivors. Together, we will continue standing up for veterans and keeping our pledge to leave no veteran behind.

When I was discharged from the Marine Corps in 1969, I came to a crossroads. At that point in my life – a young, wounded Vietnam veteran dealing with a disability – my life could have taken many different directions. But the DAV was there for me with much-needed help. Then they offered me a chance to help my fellow veterans. I have been hooked on this, the finest veterans service organization anywhere, ever since.

Being elected into this office is well beyond anything I could have ever imagined when I first became a National Service Officer. But now that I am here, you can count on me to always remember our one mission – improve the quality of life for disabled veterans, their families and their survivors.

"I am excited about continuing our relationship with Harley-Davidson during my term. The Harley's Heroes program is doing great things for veterans by getting our Mobile Service Office into communities around the nation, helping us bring benefits, education, and counseling to our veterans free of charge to them and their families. I appreciate Harley-Davidson’s commitment and I appreciate our skilled counselors who are developing and prosecuting veterans’ claims."

read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it is not helpful, do not be hurtful. Spam removed so do not try putting up free ad.